Based in Salt Lake City, UT
7 April 2014
Vinyl is a dynamic indie music game that experiments with the aesthetic distance between gameplay and music.
Manipulation Machine began development on Vinyl by asking the question: how does altering a player's own music affect how they play a game? Vinyl is a new and playful take on the music game genre which seeks to bridge the gap between gameplay and audio. By creating the game's world dynamically for every song, the visuals completely mirror the music. By directly manipulating the music based on the player's performance, the music completely mirrors the gameplay. This uniquely ties audio, visuals, and gameplay in a previously unexplored way.
- Load your own music.
- Your music procedurally generates the world...
- The way you play changes the music!
- Pick a music genre and let Vinyl remix your song how you choose.
- Dodge all of the obstacles to see your music in vibrant neon synesthesia and increase your score.
- Make mistakes and your music will be taken back in time.
- Rewind to undo your mistakes, and your score.
- Collect audio filters to manipulate your music even more, and score more points!
- Too easy to dodge obstacles? Boost to increase your multiplier and gain the ultimate score!
- Use all of your abilities to rack up points.
- Challenge the online leaderboards.
- Enter your initials to claim the number one spot!
Vinyl Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Vinyl Trailer YouTube
Vinyl Developer Let's Play! YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "The game is simple in its concept, yet complex and challenging in play. By allowing a player to insert music into the game, "Vinyl" has created something mainstream games have never attempted."
- Joe Meyer, The Daily Utah Chronicle
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Mike Heiberger on Twitter
Personal twitter for Mike Heiberger (@space_mic) twitter.com.
Zeph Fagergren on Twitter
Personal twitter for Zeph Fagergren (@zefyrie) twitter.com.
About Manipulation Machine
Manipulation Machine is a group of ten graduate students working on their thesis game at the University of Utah's Entertainment Arts and Engineering program.
More information on Manipulation Machine, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Producer, Lead Designer
Producer, Art Team Lead
Producer, Audio Designer